Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Hold the Chocolate


Well, today I made my first attempt at baking, as you can see from the photo. I took the photo using my in-computer camera, that's why it's such a high quality image. :) As for the experience, let me just say that y'all are lucky that you can see how beautiful they look without having to put them in your mouth. They look like M&M cookies, but you might as well call them egg yolk cookies. That's what they tasted like. There were so many variables in this experiment I can't even count them.

Before I tell you about the experience, let me just say that despite appearances, it wasn't all that bad. Well, the cookies were, but I'm in Mexico- and did I expect it to be anything less than an adventure? C'mon people- I've learned that by now.

So, my story starts with the two ingredients that are highly elusive here in Mexico: chocolate chips and brown sugar. You can see how I solved the chocolate chip problem, but the sugar... I ended up buying some sugar that is the color brown, but I think it was just unrefined sugar (like the stuff in those little brown packets in the States.)

When I got home, we didn't have measuring cups, the oven doesn't have a temperature gauge- only low/med/hi like a stove- and the only cookie sheet-esqe things we had were silver serving platters. They actually worked like a dream, haha.

I was feeling good despite all of these things though, because the lady that cleans our house has worked in a bakery, and she was helping me the whole time. ... I don't know where we went wrong- whether it was in the sugar, the mis-measured ingredients, the altitude, or the guessed cooking heat and time, but the cookies turned out crunchy and tasting like eggs. They're supposed to be for the preschool's Valentine's Day party tomorrow, but we'll see if even those sugar crazed four year olds will eat them...

The other positive to the day: I learned tons of new vocabulary about cooking! That and the story definitely made the day worth it. :)

No comments: