Tuesday, March 17, 2009

There is no Place like a Mountain Lake

My host sister, Haydee, and her boyfriend invited me to go spend the weekend with them at his parents' home in Valle de Bravo, a lake town in the mountains that is popular with weekenders from Central Mexico. It was so great to be up in the mountains, smelling the fresh woodsy air. We didn't do a whole lot- a boat ride on Saturday and walked to a waterfall on Sunday, but besides that we sat around and ate and played cards and Wii. You all know how much I love games, so I had a blast. It reminded me of a nice weekend at Lake Chelan, and got me very excited for summer!

I think my favorite part of the trip was our drive there. It was 5 hours in the car, but the landscape changed so often, that I spent most of that time with my camera. We drove through the eastern part of the state of Michoacan, and I have decided that it is my favorite part of Mexico so far. Mountains, lakes, farmland, and the rocks and dirt were a whole rainbow of colors! On the way home, we even drove through a sea of monarch butterflies, for which the state is known.

I also had the good fortune to be (mostly) well for the weekend! I was sick all week last week, and now that I am home again... I am feeling bad again. But I was able to really enjoy my time there, and I am so thankful for that. Today I bought some antibiotics, and hopefully they'll be able to knock out this bug once and for all!

Here are some pics from the trip...

The Lake of Michoacan, en route to Valle de Bravo.

It was so great to see some green!!!

Haydee, Gator (Riley's dad), Riley and Me on our boat ride.

The view from Eastmans' home. Looks familiar, eh?

1 comment:

Darci said...

That sounds like fun! Looks beautiful too.