Monday, March 2, 2009

A Tribute to My Homies

I really love Mexico. But there are times like today, that I really miss home. I know that I would probably feel like this at any time in my life, but it seems like I chose the worst possible semester to leave. While I am out here having this grand adventure of my own, many of those near and dear to me are also going through dramatic changes in their lives, and I HATE not being there to share it. So, I decided to cyber-share in their lives, by sharing them with you.


This picture of my grandparents was taken at my SPU graduation in June. My grandpa's health has been on the decline for a while now, and just about a month or two before I left to Mexico, we learned that he has stomach/esophageal cancer. Since I left he's been through radiation and chemo, which weakened him, but now he is doing better and getting back to coffee hour with his buddies. I am worried for him though, and wish I could be there with my family in this time.


This is my brother Luke (#5). Since I'm in Mexico... I don't have any new pictures of this year's team, but this is him and the Quincy High School Boys Varsity Basketball team. He played part time last year (his freshman year), but this year he got promoted to full time! And last weekend, the Jacks won their first two district games, to guarantee them a seed to state (which doesn't happen all that often in my hometown...), and put them in the district championship this weekend! Go Quincy! (3/5/09: follow this link to see the article about Luke and the Jacks after their win!)


This is my whirlwind of a sister, Holly. She is a musician, and since I left six weeks ago she has accomplished the following: been offered the gig and opened for LeAnn Rimes in concert (first gig w/major artist!- the pic is from that concert), been offered two gigs to open for Rush of Fools (popular Christian music band), flown to Wisconsin and filmed a music video, and been offered a tour in South Africa. Six weeks. In the next three weeks she has three more concerts in three different corners of Washington State and is going to Nashville for an Indie Music Conference. That makes it nine weeks... but it's not getting any slower. ...maybe she'll be able to pencil me in for lunch when I get home...


These are my other grandparents on my dad's side. Today I learned that two of my grandma's oldest and dearest friends passed away recently, and I just wish I could be home to give her a hug.


And this little cutie is my cousin Paul (with my dad). He and his sister Lindsey are more like a niece and nephew to me than cousins, really, and they have their own special niche in my heart. And today, Paul was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I have been nostalgically longing to be a part of all these events in the lives of my loved ones, but when I spoke to Paul on the phone today, I was desperate for it. I saw him just before I left, and his vocabulary consisted mainly of two words: papa boat. But today when I talked to him, he not only wasn't shy of the phone, but he responded to all of my questions, and even his little voice sounds more grown up. Just hearing him on the other line made me realize how much more he will change before I get back, and I don't want to miss out on that!

I am thouroughly thankful for this opportunity in my life- to live in Mexico, to live in this beautiful city, and to get to know such wonderful people. But I am also thankful that my permanent residence is so near my family, so that this sad longing can be but a temporary one.

2 comments:

Darci said...

I am really glad to hear that your grandpa is doing better.

Luke's basketball team making it to state brought back good memories of when our team went to state! Remember when we went to state and I rooted for Chris R. while you rooted for Bryan: Those games were so exciting and fun! Good times:)

I am so excited to hear about Holly's accomplishments!
I know how you feel being away from things. Even though I am only in CA, I am still a plane ride away from family and friends. It's especially hard with the little nieces and nephews because they grow and change so fast. Miss ya!

Kelsie said...

Camille! You are so cute! And precious. I love this post (and the Chonsky one, too!). I can't believe Holly opened for LeAnn Rimes!!!!! And that she recorded a music video!!! CRAZY! And yes, you can still be so adventurous when you are 71. And I will be right there with you. :) Love and miss you.